In the event of a medical emergency:
- The traveler should go to the nearest clinic or hospital
- Call International SOS, Temple’s medical insurance/assistance provider, at their 24/7 emergency assistance line, free at any time:
- Provide International SOS with the traveler’s name, institution (Temple University) and the address and phone number of the hospital or medical facility
- International SOS will monitor the case closely to determine if medical care is appropriate and provide information on the adequate local resources that are available.
- Often, International SOS can arrange for a Guarantee of Payment to be made to the medical facility for treatment. If they cannot directly pay the medical facility, the traveler will be reimbursed for the cost of treatment.
- Students studying abroad or traveling with a Temple group leader should notify their program/resident director as soon as possible.
- If there is no on-site staff associated with the program or the patient is traveling independent of a group, call Temple University’s Police 24/7 at 215-204-1234. TUPD will locate the Director, International Risk Management (or her back-up), who will return the call.