All faculty, staff, and students traveling abroad for Temple-affiliated international travel are covered by International SOS, a 24-hour travel assistance program. International SOS membership is provided by Temple University and is administered by International SOS. This medical and security assistance program provides emergency response, as well as online services and travel information. The University, its trustees, employees, agents, subsidiaries or affiliates, are not responsible for the quality of any services provided by International SOS.
Temple University students, faculty and staff traveling abroad on registered Temple affiliated international travel will be covered by both International SOS and Temple's international travel medical insurance plan, administered by International SOS.
Coverage is provided to all members of the Temple community on a blanket basis. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to visit Temple University’s membership page on the International SOS website to familiarize themselves with the services provided and how to activate coverage in the event of an emergency.
If you are planning to study abroad or travel in the country of your permanent residence, please contact Risk Management. The international travel medical insurance exclusions include any and all expenses incurred for medical services or treatment in the insured’s country of permanent residence.
Pre-Trip Guidance & Advice
International SOS can provide Temple travelers with various forms of pre-travel advice and guidance. Below are a few of the benefits for Temple-affiliated travelers.
- Country-specific reports
- Pre-trip consultation on the following
- Passport/visa requirements
- Necessary immunizations
- Safety and security information, including local laws
- Medical assistance, including guidance on traveling with prescription medication to your destination
- Questions or concerns about travel, medical, and/or security issues in your destination
Temple travelers who would like to speak with International SOS prior to traveling can contact them via email or phone at 215-942-8478. Members should reference Temple's membership ID listed above.
Travel Medical Insurance
Temple has contracted with Starr Insurance to provide international health insurance for students, faculty and staff for the duration of their time outside of the U.S. This coverage provides a comprehensive program of insurance benefits and services that covers 100% of the medically necessary doctor's visits and emergency care overseas, including coverage for preexisting conditions. Travelers should review the entire summary of benefits for details regarding the full policy, benefits and exclusions.
International travel medical insurance is a benefit provided to university travelers while outside of the U.S. at no additional cost. Travelers must first be approved for international travel, and then they will be required to register in order to be in compliance with the International Travel Policy. Learn more about the international travel approval process.
Spouses and dependents
- Temple travel benefits extend to legal spouses and dependent children traveling with current faculty and staff on Temple affiliated travel, provided that the travel itineraries for legal spouses and/or dependents are registered with International SOS. Contact Global Health, Safety and Security at Click for Email for more information about registering spouses or dependents.
Please note, Temple affiliated travel does not include
- personal travel such as vacation;
- personal travel of three days or more before or after Temple-sanctioned travel;
- group travel organized by students, without administrative oversight and unrelated to a recognized student organization or the purpose of travel does not meet scope and mission of the university; and
- instances when Temple faculty or staff has discussed a travel opportunity, forwarded information about travel that might be of interest, or posted information about travel opportunities offered by third parties but otherwise does not meet funding, credit or organizational criteria above.
Purchasing Additional Coverage
If you plan to be abroad outside of the covered dates, we strongly recommended that you purchase international travel medical insurance coverage for your personal travel dates (that includes benefits for emergency evacuation/repatriation and repatriation of remains, neither of which are typically covered by U.S. health insurance policies).
Faculty, staff, university-approved guests and volunteers must book all international travel through Concur and/or World Travel. Upon booking your approved travel, Concur and/or World Travel will automatically register you with International SOS.
Individual undergraduate, graduate and professional students traveling abroad on Temple-affiliated international travel must first request approval before registering their travel. Upon receiving approval, students will be provided with guidance as to how to complete their registration.
If you are traveling abroad as part of a university-organized group (e.g., study abroad programs, athletics trips, student organization/service-learning trips), your group leader (or an administrator organizing your trip) will register your group travel with International SOS and collect the appropriate international travel forms from you (at least one month prior to departure).
All international group travel must first request approval to travel. As part of the approval process, group leaders will submit an enrollment template to register their group.
Regardless of the method, upon registration, you will receive a pre-travel advisory email about your destination from Temple University Travel Security (Click for Email).